Looking After Yourself

& Recovery

Advocacy & Parents Rights

If your loved one has declined to have you involved in their care and treatment for any reason, clinicians usually have to follow this to a degree, however, you do have the right to basic information. Or if your loved one does want you involved and you feel the clinicians are not listening to you or including you in decision making, you have the right to make a complaint; seeking advocacy advice is encouraged. The Mental Welfare Commission for Scotland  has lots of advice on their website or you can contact them directly.

Advocacy services can provide support for parent/carers as well as the young person.

Carer’s Allowance can provide financial support to carers who are finding it difficult to work as result of looking after their loved one. You can also check your local council for services that support parents, carers and people with mental health difficulties to maximise any income through support and advice. Lots of place such as charities, Citizens advice and carer support networks can provide further information to help parents and carers. They can even support you to apply for Carer’s Allowance:

Independent and free advice available cross the UK.

Charity supporting and advising parents/carers across England, Scotland and Wales.

Help, advice, peer support and awareness for carers in England, Scotland and Wales.

You may have local advocacy services in your area which can be found by googling your closest city and then “advocacy”. These services should be free.

Funded by Technology Enabled Care